INTERNET APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
MID MARKET ERP DEVELOPMENT
by Michelle Tanner
Derek Du is one of our lead software developers. We thought it would be helpful to get some insight from him on his job and how he approaches each project to ensure success of the application and the happiness of the client.
1. As a client manager and software development engineer, what is your favorite part of your job?
I like the opportunity to work on a variety of tasks. I enjoy talking to clients and building solutions to solve their problems.
2. Was there any particular training you felt helped prepare you for the work you do?
Front-end development is now a big thing. Some workshops and conferences I have been to, like the JQuery conference and the Big Design conference, really helped me understand the potential of front-end and creating solutions with a great user experience.
3. Clients and your coworkers are impressed with your ability to find solutions to really complex issues. How would you describe your approach to challenging problems?
First, I try to understand the problem well. Then, instead of jumping in to search for solutions, I come up with a strategy and approach the problem systematically. I keep reminding myself to stop once in a while, step out to review the big picture, and think out of the box.
4. If you could give one piece of advice to someone considering becoming a software developer, what would it be?
Don't blindly follow design patterns or coding standards. Have it your own way and think of how to refactor your code whenever possible. You'll then be able to understand those design patterns by heart and start writing better structured code.
5. You came to the US from China, what do you like the most about living here?
I like the fact that people here are patient and relaxed.